Well, we've had several nights in the 50's here in Houston, which must mean the rest of you in the Northern Hemisphere are enjoying between seasonal and frigid conditions. As such, I apologize for the lack of posts recently and hope this will catch you up on a few recent JH happenings.
- Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him, by David Henry and Joe Henry, has just been released by Algonquin Books. The hardcover recently shipped and the e-book should be out any day now. Brothers David and Joe will be doing a few signings around the country, if you can catch them. This is at the top of my reading list - can't wait!
- JH will be delivering a few more acoustic performances in December, following his rousing sucess at Largo this past July. Dates are as follows: Dec 3, Minneapolis; Dec 4, Chicago; Dec 5, Ann Arbor; Dec 7, Seattle. Not to be missed if you are nearby.
- UK duo Chas & Dave have just released their new record That's What Happens, produced by JH at Abbey Road Studios. It is available at Amazon UK (still awaiting delivery of my copy).
- Divided & United: The Songs of the Civil Warwas released yesterday by ATO Records. This unique project celebrates a unique period in American and American music history. JH contributes several productions by artists like Taj Mahal, Chris Hillman, John Doe and T-Bone Burnett. He is also backed on a track of his own by The Milk Carton Kids (you can hear the whole record over at Garden & Gun).
- Speaking of whom, I had the great pleasure of seeing The Milk Carton Kids at their sold out Houston show last night. They'll be heading back to LA and hosting a revue at Largo next Tuesday, Nov 12. Who knows who might turn up? They'll also be back at Largo on Saturday, Nov 16.
- Close JH friend Sam Phillips will also be at Largo this weekend for her only solo shows of the year (Nov 9 is sold out, Nov 10 is on sale). She will be backed by JH cohorts Jay Bellerose, Jennifer Condos and Greg Leisz.
- Over The Rhine will wind up their fall tour on the West Coast in the coming weeks. They will continue to be backed by Jay Bellerose, Jennifer Condos and Eric Heywood, who contributed their talents to their double CD Meet Me At The Edge Of The World. Dates here - I can't imagine who might turn up at The El Rey!
- You might recall that New West Records auctioned a number of 7-inch singles to benefit Replacements guitarist Slim Dunlap earlier in the year. On Nov 12, they will release a compliation of the tracks, which feature a number of production contributions from JH as well as his excellent take of "Taken On The Chin." The 2 CD set will feature tracks not previously available.
- Glen Hansard will release an EP on Nov 25, featuring his epic cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Drive All Night". The track features vocals from JH and Eddie Vedder, plus sax by Jake Clemons (nephew of Clarence Clemons). The track was recorded at Garfield House and produced by JH. You can hear the song over at Rolling Stone.
That's about all I know for now. I know of at least one artist who has recently graced the basement of Garfiled House, and I would expect to hear about that project in the coming months. And, of course, all indications are that we'll be hearing about a new JH album any day now. Fingers crossed!